Household Hazardous Waste Day
The next HHW Day is scheduled for September 28th, 2024 starting at 9am at the RM office (Open until we reach capacity).
Since October 2020, the RM has hosted a yearly Household Hazardous Waste Day (HHW Day). Scheduled for fall of each year, this day allows residents to drop off their HHW for safe disposal. The RM works with GFL Environmental as its HHW Service Provider.
NOTE: New this year, HHW Day will be available to residents of the RM of Edenwold and the Town of White City only. provide Proof of residency required (including ID, tax notice, utility bill, etc.).
What is Household Hazardous Waste?
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) is garbage that is toxic, hazardous, or dangerous in nature. This can include materials that are flammable, corrosive, or environmentally hazardous. Some items generally considered to be HHW include:
|Oven & Toilet Cleaner||Bleach|
|Cosmetics||Paint & Paint Thinner|
By knowing which products are hazardous, you can protect yourself, your family, and the environment. You can tell if something is considered HHW if it carries one (or several) of the warning symbols below:
HHW should not be put in the garbage but should instead be disposed of through specific programs. If HHW is improperly disposed of (for example: by being dumped down the drain or into storm sewers), it can pose potential risks to human health and the environment. These dangers can include entering the municipal wastewater system or contaminating soil, surface water, and groundwater.
While HHW only makes up 1% of all garbage in a landfill, it has the potential to do more damage to people and the environment than the other 99% combined. Because of this, it should be disposed of properly.
Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
While the RM organizes a yearly Household Hazardous Waste Day, you have other options to dispose of your HHW waste year-round. This includes:
|Batteries||The RM Office at 100 Hutchence Road, Emerald Park, is a collection site for used batteries. Stop by anytime during office hours and dispose of your batteries safely.|
|Paint and Wood Varnish||You can drop off household paints and wood finishes at SARCAN locations throughout the province. The closest SARCAN centre to the RM is in Regina at 2636 Victoria Avenue East.|
Click here to learn more about the SARCAN Paint Recycling Program
|Motor Oil, Filters, and|
Windshield Washer Fluid
|You can drop off used motor oil and excess windshield washer fluid at the EcoCentre (sponsored through Crown Shred & Recycling) in Regina at 225 6th Avenue East.|
Click here to learn more about the EcoCentre Program
|Scrap Tires||You can drop off used tires at several autobody shops and tire retailers across the area. The closest Scrap Tire Drop-Off location to the RM is Canadian Tire in Regina at 2325 Prince of Wales Drive.|
Click here to learn more about the Scrap Tire Program
|Used Electronics||You can drop off outdated or unusable electronics at SARCAN locations throughout the province. The closest SARCAN centre to the RM is in Regina at 2636 Victoria Avenue East.|
Click here to learn more about the Waste Electronic Recycling Program